Sunday 11 May 2014

Things I Learned This Week

This last week was set aside for catching up with family and friends, so mainly I was reminded that my friends' child can be hilarious:
Everyone! I will now sing Fireman Sam!
FIREMAN SAM!
FIREMAN SAM!
FIREMAN SAM!
FIREMAN... um, SAM!
But also somewhat terrifying:
I am a farmer OF PEOPLE!

I was also forced to confront the fact that my father's mind may now be wondering quite some way from the beaten path:

Dad: I heard this story you'd love.  There's this guy who has to go see a play being put on by this terrible but wealthy actress, who's hired a theatre and employed a cast so she can star in an adaptation of Anna Karenina.  Have you read the book?
SpaceSquid: I have not.
D: Well anyway.  They're all there handing out their Hanukkah presents.
SS: Hanukkah?
D: A sort of Jewish Christmas.
SS: I know what it is, I just don't think that-
D: And then the Gestapo arrive.
SS: What?
D: And our guy shouts "Look in the attic!"
SS: ...
D: What? Isn't it funny?
SS: Do you mean Anne Frank?
D: Er... yes.
SS: Now it's funny.

I suppose there is something oddly comforting in the idea that the generations above and below mine are just as bizarre as my own.

4 comments:

darkman said...

Thanks to my years working in kindergarten I now actually know the lyrics to Fireman Sam.

SpaceSquid said...

I have at least the first verse and chorus down thanks to my brother watching it religiously when he was little.

Is there a Norwegian translation, or is it the English version? Or, for bonus points, the original Welsh?

darkman said...

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6jKT8kebdI

SpaceSquid said...

Takk! I am now awash in nostalgia, and I've learned a new Norwegian word, which takes my total up to two at the very least.