Monday 7 December 2020

Gin And Bear It: 1st To 6th

So we bought a gin advent calendar this year, to compensate for the crushing sense of isolation and fulity that accompanies this Christmas (more than usual, I mean).

And since I'm drinking a gin a night, I ifgured I might as well do some reviews.

Dec 1st: Wilkin & Sons Raspberry Gin

Man, with the mouth-feel and everything? Also, raspberries, which are a fruit. Already a contender for best gin of the festive seaon. 8/10

      Dec 2nd: Malfey's Blood Orange Gn

This is less of a drink than a magic trick. It starts off tasting like citrus and victory, but halfway through you glance at what you're drinking, and it turns into dentist's mouthwash. Senses are weird, right? I am not a fan. 7/10

       Dec 3rd: Lavender Gin

I mean, OK? I can believe it tastes like lavender. I definitely needed to be hold, though. F, meanwhile, hates the taste of lavender, and says this tastes OK to her. Which I guess is a kind of a success. When the best you can say about a flavoured gin is that it isn't even flavoured enough to piss off people who explicitly dislike that particular taste, though, I'd argue there's something of an issue. 5/10

Dec 4th: Wilkin & Sons English Strawberry Gin

Whereas with this one, even the label is no help in trying to figure out what it actually tastes like. I *think* it most resembles an energy drink diluted with soda water. Which it turns out to not be an unpleasant experience, but still one that disappoints. 6/10

Dec 5th: Sweet Potato Orange Gin Liqueur

Fortunately, only the last 60% of the name actually describes what you're drinking. Sweet potato makes for miserable fries and mash that's essentially a hate crime. Imagining the blasphemous un-drink one could squeeze from rotting yams in defiance of all laws of God and Nature makes me feel physially sick.

So does the fact I really like this actually speak to its quality? Or am I just so relieved that this doesn't taste like some unholy mixture of cheap vodka and gone-off carrot juice that it couldn't help but clear the bar I've set for it? 7/10

Dec 6th: Wilkin & Sons English Strawberry Gin

Um, fuck you? 0/10

No comments: