Thursday 24 February 2011

Additional Bullshit Detected

Just as a follow-up to the previous post, it's worth noting one small point about Franklin's proposed law (which will never, ever pass, by the way; not that that makes it any less vile).  Amongst the sheer insanity of another attempt to punish women for having wombs, and the brain-boggling madness of not being able to rule out the possibility that a miscarriage will carry the death sentence, we should note that Franklin has no more respect for the legal system than he does for uppity wimmins:
Under Rep. Franklin's bill, HB 1, women who miscarry could become felons if they cannot prove that there was "no human involvement whatsoever in the causation" of their miscarriage.
The original MJ article points out how difficult it is to determine or even define "human involvement", but that's not what I wanted to note.  What got me was the idea that Franklin has written "guilty until proven innocent" directly into the law.  I can't even begin to describe how lunatic that is.  I don't know whether such a law would circumvent "innocent until proven guilty", or whether it would cause some kind of spectacular infinite logic loop when the first case came to trial (I doubt the Georgia Supreme Court would accept this law for that very reason), but either way, you have to stand in awe of the sheer level of dickishness being portrayed here. "If you're unborn child dies, you'll have to prove to us that you didn't kill it!"

My mother, like so many women, went through a miscarriage.  It was comparatively early in the pregnancy (only a few weeks after she started telling people she was pregnant, I think, though I was very young at the time, so the details are shaky), and I think that helped with regard to the emotional fallout.  Still, it wasn't exactly fun-times; even as a four year old I could work that out.

I guess that's what make four year old SpaceSquid different from strangely-difficult-to-determine year old Bobby Franklin.  Where I saw a woman in pain, determined to get past her loss and move on (my younger brother was born not much more than a year later), Franklin sees a crime scene.

No comments: