Saturday 19 December 2009

Taken Under Advisement

Definitely one of the funniest news stories I've seen for a while: Rage Against The Machine performance pulled for swearing by Five Live.

The fact that this happened is in no way a surprise, any more than it was when Sean Ryder launched into a torrent of naughty words on TFI Friday all those years ago. What makes it uniquely brilliant though is that the radio show told Rage Against The Machine they couldn't sing the line "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me."

How did they not see that failing?

Radio 5 Live: We really like your music, Mr Rage, sir, honestly; big fans. We were hoping the "Evil Empire" would be defeated by "Renegades" at "The Battle Of Los Angeles", too, don't get me wrong. It's just that we can't let you swear on national radio.
Zack de la Rocha: What are you telling me?
R5L: I'm telling you you can't say "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me."
ZdlR: I can't say "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me."?
R5L: That's what I'm telling you.
ZdlR: I'm still not totally clear on what you're telling me to do.
R5L: I'm telling you you can't say "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me".
ZdlR: Ah, right. I am now entirely clear on what you're telling me to do.
R5L: And you'll do it?
ZdlR: Do what?
R5L: Do what we tell you?
ZdlR: Fuck yes, I will do what you tell me.
R5L: Terrific.

No comments: