Another round of "Guess the Song". Last time we tried this, my legions of adoring fans managed a slightly disappointing 44%. We can and must do better!
1. "Blue eyes for miles, pretty as a peach." - Ryan Adams, Pearls on a String
2. "Here she comes with a gun in her hand." - James, Dumb Jam (Jamie)
3. "Well I thought about the army, Dad said: 'Son, you're fucking high!'." - Ben Folds Five, Army (Jamie)
4. "Well, I took a stroll on the old long walk." - Steve Earl, Galway Girl
5. "Staggering home, the headlights throw a shadow up and upon." - Madness, Lovestruck
6. "They call her Jezebel, you might find her in your neighbourhood." - Dizzee Rascal, Jezebel
7. "Well it's not fair, it's not even close." - Alkaline Trio, I Lied My Face Off
8. "I wish I had a Sylvia Plath." - Ryan Adams, Sylvia Plath (Moddey Dhoo)
9. "Ever since I was young, your word was the word that always won." - Brand New, Guernica
10. "Orange sky, don't go." - Ryan Adams, Crossed-Out Name
11. "All the time, every time I need it." - Green Day, All The Time (Jamie)
12. "It's another way to get through the day." - Stereophonics, Is Yesterday, Tomorrow, Today?
13. "Turn the lights down when you cry." - Idlewild, Low Light
14. "I was born in the Merrie City." - The Cribs, I've Tried Everything
15. "I don't want to spend the rest of my life looking at the barrel of an Armalite." - The Police, Spirits In The Material World
16. "She sat right down on the sofa." - Counting Crows, Hanginaround
17. "God's dead, this state is torture." - James, Gaudi, (Legal Eagle)
18. "So I'm there, charging around with a juggernaut brow." - Elbow, The Bones Of You
19. "I'm running out of time, I'm out of step and closing down." - The Cure, Closedown
20. "You came to me like a dream, the kind that always leaves." - Alkaline Trio, Bleeder
21. "Save me from this way, it be killing me." - Seasick Steve, Save Me
22. "I'm under your spell, God how can this be?" "Once More With Feeling", - Standing (S. Spielbergo)
23. "My dog wears a path on the same line." - Ben Folds, Dog
24. "You say 'Why does everything revolve around you?'." - Barenaked Ladies, Too Little Too Late (Moddey Dhoo)
25. "You and me plainly saw a vision." - James, Hello
Some brief clues. The list includes eighteen different artists; fifteen bands, three solo artists (as always, YMMV with those labels), and one song from a musical. Four of these artists have had videos spring up on this very blog, ten are American, and exactly one isn't a whiny white boy.
Update: That's the musical out of the way. Having thought about this, I think I should alter the clues slightly. Removing 22, there are in fact two incontestable solo artists and eleven definite bands with nineteen songs between them. The remaining five songs are accounted for by two artists that can be considered a band or not, depending on how one views their history, and in fact both artists are represented above both with and without their attendant bands. Thus, the number of artists remaining is between sixteen and eighteen, depending on how you view it.
If we assume for the sake of argument that both qualify as solo artists, then there are eight Americans left, along with six Englishmen (we've already winkled out the only female vocalist in the list), and one representative each from Wales, Scotland, and Canada.
Update II: The Canadians have been caught. Also, we're one Ryan Adams song down, and only nineteen unknown songs remain. If S. Spielbergo still wants to guess at random, he's down to a mere 171 possible combinations...
Update III: Having spent a little while discussing the possible provenance of number 17 with Garathon yesterday, it amused me to hear it suddenly blaring from the shuffle feature on his Netbook. Legal Eagle noticed this coincidence first, hence he receives the honours.