Wednesday 13 May 2009

For Serious?

Karl Rove explains to FOX how to keep Americans safe.
[Revealing and ending "enhanced interrogation" techniques] has served, frankly, I think, as a recruiting tool. [Terrorists] can now take these memoranda and go to prospective, you know, recruits and say, This is the worst that the enemy, the United States, would ever do to you... and they've even forsworn these things... [T]he enemy is so weak they're not going to use these techniques on you, and it’s given them a tool to make it more attractive to recruit people, and you know, this kind of thing is harmful to us over the long haul.
I'm not even going to comment on this one, the total logic vacuum is too obvious to make it worth picking apart. I'm just flagging it up as part of my ongoing obsession with torture and the Bush administration.

2 comments:

Dan Edmunds said...

Even I can jump on the, man that is a retarded comment, bandwagon on that one. I guess maybe you could argue it could help terrorists plan their resistance to torture training better (well actually you can’t because they are saying what they are no longer doing, but I’m grasping at straws to find any logic in the nearby vicinity here). Help with recruitment? Seriously? No, I’m not seeing that one.

SpaceSquid said...

"I guess maybe you could argue it could help terrorists plan their resistance to torture training better "
That's the one part of his comment that makes some sense; if you are going to torture people, you shouldn't let them know in advance what method you'll use. As you say, though, it's irrelevant, and he immediately contradicts himself.